ENVIRONMENTALISTS, WHAT DO THEY KNOW?

As some of you may remember our fellow property owner Harvey tried on several occasions to get us, the other property owners in the area, to consider environmentally friendly improvements to Burns Square. Improvements such as Sidewalks that breath, thermal heating and cooling and better building products. While I agreed with Harvey 100% because we should recycle, I had little to offer on the subject. I, along with everyone else possibly are just ignorant and being a true environmentalism seemed so complicated, uncertain, difficult and expensive. Everyone settled on the easy options and that was to stick with what we know and not complicate anything especially with a subject no one understood.

Well, first I want to say to Harvey, I hope you accept my apology for allowing everyone to push your ideas aside too quickly. I can also say, thanks to you, I have started to become education on the importance of putting your ideas into our vision. Of course there is the movie Inconvenient Truth...and then at the CNU Conference when I heard a brilliant lecture on mankind destructive behavior on the environment...and then I had the opportunity just a few weeks ago to meet William McDonough and hear his lecture. www.mcdonough.com

Okay....I am on board!

McDonough, architect, is the co-author of the book "Cradle to Cradle" along with Michael Braungart, chemist. A MUST READ!! What I really like about their environmental approach is stated in their book, "We see a world of abundance, not limits. In the midst of a great deal of talk about reducing the human ecological footprint, we offer a different vision. What if humans designed products and systems that celebrated an abundance of human creativity, culture, and productivity? That are so intelligent and safe, our species leaves an ecological footprint to delight in, not lament?" If you have a chance to hear this man talk, then do it but until then, I highly suggest you get the book and read it. I will loan out my copy for anyone who cannot find it.

No comments: